Friday, October 14, 2016

Nurse Morrigan! Construction & Step by Step Commentary


Hey everyone! Long time no post (sorta). I've been working on a lot of stuff for school and on a lot of new and fun little projects. It's been such a great adventure honestly! I'm even more ecstatic for people to be able to enjoy it with me and to watch me and my progress. For this post, I'll actually be talking about how I went about constructing my Nurse Morrigan costume for Long Beach Comic Con in Long Beach, California! If you're interested, Click through the read more cuties.




 

Wahoo! SO let me just break down the bare basics. The wig is an Epic Cosplay Wig that I had gotten from the last Epic Cosplay Wigs warehouse sale in Santa Ana, California. It wasn't that difficult to detangle it after everything that had gone wrong with me, but it was also pretty easy for me to snip the bangs even though I had lost my hair scissors...WELP. Still turned out alright!  

 

So for any of you interested, here's the actual shot of me taken at Long Beach Comic Con. The photograph was shot by the photography Shutterfoo! It was such a pleasure to finally have a photo shoot after all this time. 

 

Now Let's move on! For the socks, I had actually gotten my hands on some thigh high socks but I also knew that they really just wouldn't fit me so I had to hem them and then lil wo me forgot to make garters to keep them up. Anyways, they're hemmed to fit me but need to be tweaked to do things properly.


 

I had used white elastic, silver wire, a hot glue gun, bag hooks and clips, and grey painted googley eyes to make the accessories on the legs! yes this was dangerous. But also ? I made this costume in less than 3 hours rip me and my soul. 

 

For the wings, I had used craft foam as the base, and then used hot glue to shape and created leveled areas. Then I had painted each of the areas the colors depicted in the references. For the badges, I had actually taken some 3D paint, some grey painted over googley eye studs, and some black fabric to acquire the look I had wanted. For the actual "badge" portion, I had some little ring boxes that I had taken the tops off of and then I had spray painted them with a silver spray paint for an event look. After everything, I had attached alligator clips and attached them to the nurse cap.



 

For the nurse hat, I had used craft foam for the base and covered it in fabric. I had attached some suede string to add sturdiness when tied around my head, on top of attaching alligator clips. The actual printed design depicted on the nurse hat is actually freehand painted because I 1.) was very lazy to sketch out the design pattern beforehand, and 2.) I was very, very lazy and had some faith in my worried self. 

 

Moving on! Let's talk about the actual outfit. So believe it or not, the outfit you see here was actually different. I had altered some previously made clothing for the fabric, and then created a new pattern out of whatever I had left for myself. Excuse the mess of a room, it always ends up like this during con season! But yes, that was the gist of it. Surprisingly, it worked out as it had the occasional problem of not necessarily working out as nicely as I would have liked it to, but it really did. All of the edges are overlocked and hemmed as well, which is something that I'm especially proud of. 


Thank you to JC of JCollinsPhotography for this last look! It was so nicely put together already that I honestly didn't feel the need to edit it (but then again I am also just a flat out lazy piece of crap but I just feel really gross right now so let's save this talk for another time!). Anyways, thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed.

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...