Saturday, January 11, 2014

Receipt dress-- Finished!


After all this time, it's finally finished! 

The dress was designed and created with a variety of thoughts on mind.  At the beginning, my intention of this dress's creation was to spark a question on how much money we should really spend on keeping up with new clothes and the latest fashion trends. Each receipt had been selected out of a large bundle as they had been, at some point, a requirement or necessity  in my life or in the lives of my friends and family.

Another thought that led to this dress's creation was my history with various people who have degraded me for, and advised me about, keeping up to date with the latest brand names and fashion trends. There were times where I have been constantly ridiculed for my hand-me-down clothing and for not keeping my comfortable and functioning clothes "up to date". 

What specifically sparked my desire to create this dress was an argument with a classmate of mine who argued that my worth and talent means nothing if my clothes make me look out of date. 

I made this dress hoping to show others that clothes should not be a "make or break" factor for your social status and reputation. I believe that old clothes and clothes that we take for granted and consider trash (due to it not having a brand name) that function and work as well as they did when they had originally been obtained, are fine to keep. If those clothes look nice, serve their intended purpose, and can be adjusted/tampered with to suit your body and preferences, the opinions and beliefs of others are irrelevant. 

Though I plan on making another dress made out of vintage clothing and receipts to match up a different idea. I plan on designing and creating another dress that will make others question how much they should be spending on clothing when there are bills to pay, food to buy, family and friends to support, and obligations to take care of.  















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...