Monday, November 17, 2014

Twig Sculpture (Complete)


Here's the finished product that I have been working on for the past couple of days now. The entire piece was created and intended to represent me and the life that I have lived all the way up until now.


The majority of the yarns that had been draped and tied to the branch for a dangling look had been spun by me. I had used butterflies in particular because of the idiom "butterflies in the stomach". The butterflies are made using jazz sheet music and water colored over top to match the rest of the piece.


The knitted part as you can see above was freehand knitted. The knitted form is supposed to represent the feelings I have felt over the span of my life. If feelings could be translated into words, these would be the best choices.


The butterflies continued throughout the piece to help cover up any weird and broken bits that weren't pleasant to look at..and so that the butterflies could trail throughout the entire piece, bringing the attention elsewhere.


My cotton spun is also here as I had posted in a previous post.


Here's a closer shot of the yarn that I had spun that  had used to hang from the branch.



I had also curved and draped a lot of other yarns to make everything else seem balanced and in place. Some of the bits like the really incredibly fluffy one above was crocheted with my fingers to have large loops and give it an interesting look.


Here's what the piece looks like underneath!


I had also added in the stuffed animal piece that I had made when I was in 7th grade. I had first gotten into 3D art around that time, and this plush was one of the first pieces I had ever made in it. I had originally intended for stuffed animal plushes to be hanged and holding on for dear life at the bottom, but because of the needed changes I had to tweak my design.


Although the above shot is blurry, I wanted to get a shot of how cool the split looks in the branch after I had sawed it into 3 different pieces. 


A lot of branches had either very simple colored wire wrapped around it or yarns.


And butterflies were all over the piece along with bows and little extra things here and there which dangled from the piece.


But overall, that's the finished version of my twig sculpture! I wanted to give it a proper name and I found that the idiom "You can't take it with you" would be the best fitting name.  

You Can't Take it With You: 
Enjoy what you have and not what you don't have, since when you die you cannot take things (such as money) with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...