Friday, December 26, 2014

99 cents store Gingerbread Man DIY Kit



Hey guys! So a little while ago we had gone to the 99 cents store as I had mentioned before and we had stumbled across a lot of things...but something in particular that caught my eye was this air dry clay do it yourself kit.


And you all already know that I just HAD to try it out. Here are the instructions on the back of the box.


Inside the kit were 3 colors. Brown, white, and yellow.


Opening the clays were rather ridiculous. They would stick to the plastic surface that it had been packaged in, refusing to be taken out. For a dollar set, they were actually pretty well made...it's almost similar to that of Daiso Japan's, but...I'd have to go back and test it out some more to compare the two.


Here's just a little shot of how milky and runny the clay gets after you wet it. The clay is incredibly pigmented. It's as if you had combined in a ton of acrylic paint with regular white air dry clay and expected it to just work magically without fully mixing it together. It was rather rough to work with after it had gotten like this. I had to wash my hands in between pieces (until I gave up that is) and keep paper towels nearby so that I could quickly wipe my hands just in case.


Here are some shots to show you what the consistency of the clay is like. 


As I had mentioned on my instagram, the clay itself is like a warm marshmallow. The consistency is really gooey and has an incredibly soft and fluffy texture when you touch it. The clay does dry out rather fast when you work with it though. So be careful. Although I think you can argue that for just about any type of air dry clays...


But here are the shots of my finished gingerbread man! While I had been working on the piece, there were so many extra bits of clay that I didn't know what to do with all of it! So I kind of spontaneously came up with this little fella here. 


Working with the clay was rather rough. It's poorly crafted for one because I hadn't worked with air dry clay (or any non ceramic clays) in a long time and I couldn't for the life of me get a hold of myself to do better. Quoting myself from instagram: 

"My sister @lanpro13 allowed me to get a diy air dry clay gingerbread man kit from the 99 cents store today & I gotta tell you this stuff was hella pigmented and had the consistency of warm marshmallows. At some point I actually freaked out about having too much clay and more stupid thoughts. It was great and I was not used to this kind of air dry clay Q____Q);;"


But I have to tell you, it was worth it. For a dollar, the kit itself was incredibly well put together, the materials were nice, the instructions weren't that bad, the difficulty is rather low too. All in all, if I could come back and get another gingerbread man or a santa or reindeer set, I would definitely. I hope that the store comes up with more similar to this one too! That'd be absolutely amazing to do once more.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...