Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Music Notes (Dressmaking-- Buttons & Thread)


Hey guys! Back on track again with the dress making~ Here's what the top part looked like before it had gotten ironed down. Below is what it had looked like after I had sewn the bra into the dress. 




Given that my bra has foam and wires in it, I had to be very careful while going about it. Not to mention that sewing this kind of a dress is rather difficult for beginners....at least from what I had thought. Also, make sure that you always. ALWAYS. iron your ends and stitches. If you don't, it'll turn out very poofy and large and you would prefer to stay away from that.


As for the back and what I had done so that you can keep it on yourself, my options were to use a zipper (but I had to buy it), to use an elastic band to gather the fabric together so that it could be slid on/over my body (I'd have to find more fabric), or to use the buttons that you see above. The buttons were something that I had kept after I had used them in one of my art assignments from my first year in the beginning 3-D art class. They're wonderful wooden buttons with the cutest and sweetest look! I love them and so I chose them. I had also cut holes on the other side after I had measured which side should be longer as it'll be pulled over to serve as the button holes. 


Second, I had added in pockets! The pockets are made rather simply and are large enough to hold my iPhone 5c. It's rather nice, and was a little tricky to add into my dress as the tutorial I had looked at showed it being added into a regular pencil skirt-like bottom dress while the bottom I had was more like a skater skirt or a regular circle skirt.



 If you're interested in the pattern for that, check out the link here:  http://zaaberry.blogspot.com/2013/06/dress-pockets-tutorial-pattern.html


Before I add in any final touches like dress straps or fixing up any loose ends and holes, here are some shots of the dress so far! How I had determined the skirt was based off of what I had read and understood from here:  http://www.thesnugbugmercantile.com/circle-skirt-calculator-for-the-drafting-of-full-half-and-34-skirts-with-bonus-grading-worksheet/ It's really helpful to make sure that you know what you're doing beforehand when it comes to skirts and the like because in the past with my Kiki's delivery service dress, it had led to trouble. It's important that you make sure that you are already determining how much fabric and how to determine the look for the bottom half of the skirt/dress.



Here are just some final shots of the dress before I continue on showing you the final dress on me! For the sleeves, I had used these two websites: http://aleshablessed.com/adding-cap-sleeves-to-a-spaghetti-strap-dress/ and http://kaelawheelerdesigns.blogspot.com/2011/10/tutorial-how-to-add-sleeves-to.html . I had actually spent forever trying to figure out how to attach these straps as they were often times called different things and had been associated with different necklines and top types. These sleeves are actually called cap sleeves and are attached similarly as any other cap sleeves can be attached. They're just a little different...y'know?



But that's it! Thank you so much for reading and following along with this. If you're interested in seeing the final dress, there'll be another post that talks about it!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...