Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Music Notes (Patterns & Dresses)


Woohoo another post! I've been on a pretty good track lately which is great. But moving on, a few days ago I had made a dress using this fabric below that I will be mentioning (or have already mentioned?) in another post. I had purchased it while I was over at my local Joanns.


The design that I had decided to come up with was determined and inspired by some of the 1940s and 1950s dresses that I've seen around and about. With regards to how the top portion and the sleeves would look, I had looked at the site here:  http://vintagevandalizm.com/2011/02/21/v-v-x-the-new-york-times-vintage-reproduction/ and http://www.sammydress.com/product875603.html?currency=USD&gclid=Cj0KEQiAgMKmBRDMjo_F9OfUubABEiQAp8Ky12CC3vpPZxttZNqHfQfyAcw-SNDlJdOo0AMWbyk-nAoaAjuN8P8HAQ. The dresses were designed to have a more modern twist on them, but I'm not sure if I had achieved that look or not.


Originally when I had began to construct the pattern for the top half of the dress, I had issues figuring out what I was doing and how it was going to work when sewed altogether as my breasts would be weirdly positioned. I had later figured out that the finished pattern that you see below is not one that would work best for the dress design that I was trying to create, but more so for a fashion corset or some sort.


I had figured out that the correct pattern to go about the creation of this can be similar to the images that you see following to this text. 



If you're interested in seeing where I had gotten the pattern and the explanation behind it, I had only used it to really get the explanation and pattern on how to go about constructing the sweetheart neckline look but it's also really helpful in other ways too...see here: 

http://assets.burdastyle.com/patterns/print_at_homes/000/000/932/Ruffle_Strap_Dress_-_Custom_pattern_Block_original.pdf?1298770205


When figuring how to go about it, it's rather confusing but personally for me, I found it rather easy. It made a lot of sense and I determined the lengths for all the measurements based off of my own body's measurements as the instructions say. Although I am going to cheat and say that I did hold it up against my body using tape to determine how it was going to look too...


But here's the patterning portion! For other projects that I've done, I have used patterns and draping techniques the most as they're the only two that I really know how to do, but I'm hoping that I'll be able to learn more sometime soon in the future.


After I had sewn the top portion, I had decided that I was going to sew in a bra so that I wouldn't have to wear one when I had wore the dress as a bra would show through the other side. I had taken an old bra of mine (although it doesn't look in the slightest bit to be huh..?) that had its clear straps and clasps broken and put it to good use.


Before it was being used by me using duct and electrical tape....goodness....but here's the end of this post! I'll be posting the next one up a little later because I'm running rather short on time for now. Sorry for the trouble! Thank you for reading~


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...